Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Emerging into the blog world once again.

Well,

It has been forever since my last post. Nearly 7 months to be precise. More life changes have just occurred. Yesterday was my last day at my insurance position. While I loved working there, I left for a few reasons - first, I missed Carter something fierce ; second, after looking at our finances, we were only coming out about $80/wk ahead due to costs such as daycare, etc. ; third, I want to be able to be more involved in the things that matter to me most such as church, Carter's school, volunteering, etc. Couple those things along with the fact, that I really feel I'm just not cut out to work a regular job, is the reason I left.

I'm going to try getting a job that I can do from home so if anyone that reads this knows of any good and legitimate companies that hire telecommuters, let me know. I do have a list of 6 or 7 that I know are legit and am going to begin actively pursuing that.

Also, Mike and I have been feeling a nudge from God that we should pursue becoming foster parents. I'm realizing more and more, that God's plan for us may be that we don't have more biological children, but that we help take care of children that are already on this earth and don't have a loving home. Our dream is to one day adopt from Africa, but due to the cost associated with that, we know that will have to be a long-term goal. In the meantime, we want to help as many children as we can. Yesterday we went to our first meeting in the long process. There is 12 weeks of training that we will have to undergo and then another 4 months of things like home studies and interviews to complete the process. It's not going to go as quickly as I originally had anticipated or wished for, but hopefully sometime next year in the early fall, we will have our first child or children.

I will be sure to post much more often and since I'll have a heck of a lot more time on my hands, I don't think it will be an issue. Please pray that the transition goes well for both Carter and I and that all goes smoothly with the foster care process.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I've MISSED YOU!!!!!! Mandie, it's sooooooo good to hear an update from you. I'm so happy to hear about the steps you've been making in your life...You will find yourself so much happier at home! I just know it!
I hope that you will find a great job at home, so that you can have more time with Carter. How is he, by the way? I miss so much seeing the pictures of him growing up. I know he must be so big now~ I miss you bunches, Mandie!! I hope that one day you'll be able to adopt the baby you want....Since working in the pregnancy center, I have learned of several organizations which let women with unplanned pregnancies adopt their babies out...maybe you would be interested in something like that? It might be a lot cheaper than adopting out of country. Actually, Sara was mentioning to me something about a "foster to adopt" program, where you can be a foster parent to a child who is eligible for adoption, and if you choose to, you can adopt them! Much more affordable route, and it would really help some little child out, whether or not you decide to adopt. I hope that you'll find the right path soon!!!

Mandie said...

Hey Bethany!!! It's good to hear from you too!!! I will hopefully be back to the old internet ways soon. I'm in the process of completely redoing my blog so I'm hoping to have that completely done in the next couple of days. As for the foster to adopt...that's an option that will be available to us once we get through everything. Unfortunately there are only about 20-25% of children that are in that situation so it may take some time before we are presented with that opportunity.

I'll come to FF as soon as I get my blog updated and going and give everyone updates. I have some new pictures and all too. It sure does help since we have cable internet now.

Talk to you soon!!!